The Operations Training Manager is responsible for assessing, developing, and implementing a training strategy focused on hourly production employees. This role will be responsible for coordinating with Supply Chain subject matter experts in order to develop solutions to safely and effectively on-board new hires and quickly train them on the safe and efficient operation of equipment. The Training Manager will provide support across the plant network and be a vital business partner to Operations, Quality and Safety. Expectations for the role include driving improvement and change within the US & Canada Manufacturing organization through application of Adult Learning Principles.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with key Manufacturing leaders to assess training & performance needs for the hourly workforce
- Collaborate with key manufacturing leaders to develop long-term World Class training strategy
- Design training curriculum and processes to align with Operations’ goals & objectives
- Conduct role and environment assessments
- Organize & facilitate line operator training and Operations’ skills training
- Travel frequently (50% plus) to manufacturing facilities
- Assess and enhance current certification programs
- Recommend and implement right organization structure to support training needs across a dispersed manufacturing footprint
- Create and implement a training tracking mechanism, including cross-training over multiple production lines.
- Develop KPI’s to track progress and success of the program.
- Decrease the current onboarding timeframe for a new employee to learn the job.
- Link training content to line and equipment controls (PLC) for easy information access.
- Keep training current in an ever-changing business environment
- Determine appropriate channel to effectively deliver training (video, e-learning, OJT etc..)
The successful candidate will possess the following skills/knowledge:
- Ability to work independently, self-directed or in a group
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to create training programs that quickly build required skills to safely and efficiently perform essential job tasks in a manufacturing environment
- Confident problem solver with a creative approach to learning and development
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate in classroom
- Demonstrated ability to deliver training within manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated capacity to utilize instructional design and Adult Learning Principles
- Ability to develop “train the trainer” programs and increase competencies of trainers in a dispersed environment
- Demonstrated capability in designing/implementing training effectiveness metrics/measurements
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred (experience in lieu of formal education is acceptable)
- 5 years of experience in technical training, developing learning solutions (e.g., e-learning, instructor led courses, technical documents, exams, etc.)
- 5 years of manufacturing experience
- 5 years of experience in the design and execution of manufacturing training programs
- Experience working in a lean environment preferably utilizing formal lean methodologies
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated project management experience with the ability to lead projects efficiently and effectively, adjust quickly to changing priorities and continue to deliver measurable outcomes.